My internet was down for a week and a half. They are running fiber optic cable in my area and when they were digging for it they cut mine and several other peoples phone/internet line. And to make it even better the phone guy who works our area had just gone on vacation so we had to wait for him to get back and then the time it took to get it fixed. I always thought that I would be just fine without the internet/technology was I ever wrong. Here are a few things that I learned when it was down.
- First and foremost I am way to dependant on the internet. As bad as I hate to say it. Every time I needed to look up something I couldn’t.
- I also get all my news from the internet so it was very difficult not knowing what all was going on in the world ( I did have my phone but it doesn’t work the greatest at my house).
- I need to get more information off the internet, I have a lot of pages bookmarked recipes, ideas etc,. I was wanting a recipe but I couldn’t get it since I just had it bookmarked.
- It is my link to the outside world, I am home all day with the little kids and it is nice to be able to communicate with others besides just the little ones ( love the little ones to pieces but sometimes it is nice to know there is more to life then colors and toys haha.)
- I need to plan better, I had a couple of things I wanted to do for Halloween with the kids. They are on a website I go to to get ideas for the kid’s crafts, well I couldn’t do them since I couldn’t get to the website. So I need to start getting them off when I find them.
- I need to have a few backup movies, on the weekends we like to watch a little Netflix well with no internet no Netflix.
- I even like to get my weather from the internet it gives me an idea of the long-range forecast that helps when trying to plan things.
As much as would love to say this has taught me to be less dependent on the internet I don’t know if I can. I do know I will start doing things a little different then if it happens again or goes away for good then I am a little better prepared.
And one last thing, I have always said to make sure you have the information you need from the internet on a hard copy. And I do have a lot but not as much as I should. So I will be trying to get more off and be a little better prepared.